Jungle Disk, KeepItSafe, LiveVault and OffsiteDataSync have been combined into a leading backup and disaster recovery specialist headquartered in San Antonio, TX. The business serves tens of thousands of customers across the globe with more than 20 data centers, including major presences in North America and Europe. It is one of the only global recovery providers awarded ISO 27001 certification for information security management in addition to meeting customer needs for SOC 2, PCI-DSS, and HIPAA compliance. For more information, please visit http://www.jungledisk.com.
The Lead Software Engineer of Operations Engineering is a pragmatic, battle-tested software engineer with deep experience in building, maintaining, deploying, and optimizing highly-available, scalable web applications (front-end and back-end), APIs, and other web-based services.
As the Lead Software Engineer for our Operations Engineering team, this individual will be responsible for maintaining and improving multiple web applications and services already deployed to a multi-cloud production environment, coaching and mentoring junior engineers on the team, collaborating with the Operations Engineering team Leader in building and maintaining a backlog of tasks/user-stories, identifying and finding solutions to application performance issues, and planning and executing on application and infrastructure modernization projects. In this role, you’ll be able to operate with a lot of independence and empowerment to make decisions, and you’ll be able to help build and enhance the engineering culture of this team. Even if you don‘t meet all of the requirements listed, we still encourage you to apply. Job requirements are a wishlist, not a checklist, and we‘re happy to help the right candidate grow into this role!
- Maintain and improve a variety of web sites, web applications, and services written in C# (.NET framework and core) and Python.
- Plan and execute projects to migrate web applications from .NET Framework to .NET Core.
- Own and perform code reviews for features, bug fixes, and other changes for production code bases.
- Make informed architectural and software design decisions to continually evolve and improve how our products and services are delivered to our customers.
- Review and prioritize confirmed production bugs/issues, communicating remediation plans and timelines to other internal teams.
- Assist DevOps engineers in the maintenance of infrastructure and infrastructure management automation.
- Ensure all Software Engineers are adhering to our software quality standards so that work is done to the highest possible quality.
- Mentor and coach the team’s developers and engineers, helping them improve their technical skills and soft skills.
- Act as an example to all Software Engineers on the team through advocating for personal development and taking the time to do so yourself.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- A strong fit with the Jungle Disk Core Values:
- Self-Motivated: Driven to learn and grow, passionate about continued learning, prioritizes personal development
- Supportive: Gets "hired job" done with a can do attitude, volunteers beyond job description, will do anything for the team
- Truth Teller: Challenges the status quo thought process, will do it even when it hurts (without being an a**hole)
- Excellent communication skills with a strength for adapting to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proactive approach to maintaining and improving existing web applications and services, always looking for opportunities to improve overall reliability, stability, and performance; eager to experiment with new technologies and tools; sharing lessons and findings with others.
- Customer-focused mindset and empathy for the paying customer consuming the applications and services you’re responsible for maintaining.
- Intense attention to detail at the micro and macro levels, able to understand and weigh risks/consequences in making changes to customer-facing, production applications.
Major Skills & Qualifications:
- 4+ years of experience building and maintaining C#/.NET framework web applications and services
- 2+ years of experience building .NET core web applications (experience with EF Core is a plus!)
- 3+ years of experience writing and tuning complex SQL queries/statements
- 2+ years of experience mentoring/coaching other developers/engineers in both technical and soft skills
- 2+ years of experience building and deploying applications to cloud providers.(e.g. Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services. Including experience with “serverless”/managed products like App Engine, Cloud Functions/Lambda)
- 2+ years of experience building and maintaining CI/CD and/or application build pipelines and automation
- 2+ years of experience with container technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Agile processes, backlog management, writing cards, breaking down tasks
Other Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience migrating .NET Framework applications to .NET Core (running on linux)
- Experience with DevOps automation and infrastructure management tools (e.g. Ansible/Chef/Puppet, Terraform, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience using performance monitoring tools, like an APM platform; using traces to evaluate performance and find opportunities for improvement
- Knowledgeable about the QA process - unit testing, integration testing, and testing automation
- 2+ years of experience building and maintaining server-side Python web applications and APIs (Flask)
- Experience modularizing and/or containerizing large/monolithic web applications
- Experience with Github Actions or similar managed build pipelines
- Experience working with MS SQL Server and/or IIS
- Knowledgeable about building client-side web UIs with Blazor (.NET)
Travel and Location:
- The team currently works on a hybrid schedule 2 days per week in the office, and 3 days per week from home. Our office is located in the downtown San Antonio area.
- If you are not located in San Antonio, you can work remotely, but must be able to be in the office at least one day per week.
- Travel will be limited to industry events, professional development activities, or offsite planning meetings, in total, less than 10% of the time.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage.
- Generous 401k matching.
- Pick your own equipment. You’ll get a budget to spend on whatever laptop, monitor, and office equipment you desire.
- Unlimited vacation policy, while we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year.
- Volunteer time off.
- Fitness club allowance.